LIVING WITH ROOMMATES: OUR TIPS
Are you living or planning to live with a roommate soon? Gotoo is here to advise you !
HOW TO CHOOSE YOUR ROOMMATES :
It all starts here! Here are a few tips to help you in your researches :
-Post a clear announcement: specify all the important information, don’t hesitate to indicate explicitly what kind of person you are looking for and, on the contrary, the characteristics you wish to avoid.
-Choose someone of an age close to yours
-Try to choose people you have already met at least once.
-Feel free to ask questions and to chat a bit before giving your answer.
–Friendship does not always mean compatibility at this level…Don’t risk spoiling a beautiful friendship by choosing to live with a friend who doesn’t meet your search criteria.
Finances can quickly become a serious bone of contention if certain rules aren’t laid down beforehand :
- Make sure you pay the rent on time: Whether you choose to pay your rent collectively (by agreeing to pay only one sum to the owner) or individually (each paying his or her own share), it is important to respect the deadlines.
- Determine beforehand how the various rental charges, current consumption, insurance and housing tax will be paid: While some charges are included in the rent, others are often paid in addition to the rent and to different organisations. It is therefore preferable to make arrangements between flatmates beforehand!
- For the daily expenses we advise you to use Tricount : It is a free application (available on Apple and Android) that allows you to easily enter your daily expenses on a “common account” shared with your roommates. The application then shows you who owes how much and to whom!
TIPS TO LIVE TOGETHER
- Respect each other: intimacy, noise, sleep… Any flatshare that goes well is a flatshare where members pay attention to respect each other.
- Discuss what is bothering you: You may not agree on everything and some of your behaviour may hurt other people without you even realizing it and…that’s normal! Nevertheless, it is necessary to take the time to communicate so that these small irritabilities do not become real tensions.
- Be tolerant : Once again, you will not always have the same habits and the same opinions. However, choosing a roommate means choosing to share and to accept the other person, which sometimes means turning a blind eye to small details.
- Enjoy! Living with a roommate often means great moments of sharing, conviviality and real friendships.
If you need more advices before making your mind, you can check this video :