Tenants: 4 tips to be eco-friendly!
We all have our share of responsibility in preserving the environment: thus, all gestures, however small they may seem, are important, yours included. We have listed 5 eco-gestures to respect to be a green tenant!
1. Heat yourself, yes, but sensibly!
Electric heating is a major source of greenhouse gas emissions, which contribute to global warming. Therefore, it is essential to control your heating consumption, in particular through simple gestures: leave the shutters open during the day and close them in the evening, air regularly, turn down the heating when you leave your home… 1°C less represents 7% less consumption on your bill! The ideal temperature is 17°C in the bedrooms, 19°C in the living rooms and 20°C in the bathroom. Moreover, auxiliary heaters, electric, oil bath or stove are to be banished, because they consume enormously and are dangerous for your health.
2. Controlling your electricity consumption
Lighting and household appliances represent 1/3 of the energy bill. To reduce your electricity consumption, here are some tips:
- Favour low-energy bulbs: they consume 4 times less than a halogen bulb and last 10 times longer!
- Take advantage of daylight, avoid turning on the light in broad daylight.
- The orientation and color of your furniture must be taken into account in the design of your apartment: favor light colors for your furniture, and make sure to place your reading or work station in a bright place.
- Dust your light bulbs regularly: you could gain 40% of light flow.
- Always turn off your electrical appliances: the standby mode represents 10% of your electricity bill.
- Use eco programs for your washing machine and dishwasher.
3. Reduce your water consumption
It is important to control your water consumption to reduce your bills, but above all to preserve this resource. Here are some tips:
- Check your water meter regularly to make sure there are no leaks: a leaky toilet flush = 600€ more per year!
- Take showers rather than baths.
- Don’t let the taps run unnecessarily (when you brush your teeth, when you shave…)
- When you are away for a long time, turn off the central faucet.
- Install aerators on your taps to reduce the water flow.
4. Reduce your waste
Household waste is estimated at 513 kg per inhabitant in France! It is therefore essential to adopt a good management of your waste:
- Prefer to deposit them in a waste disposal center.
- Give your expired medicines to your pharmacist.
- Give your old appliances to be replaced to the stores where they come from, as they are obliged to take them back.
- Use two garbage cans to facilitate the sorting of your waste.